This app is aimed at any person who is visually impaired. It is a multi-purpose app as different tasks may be performed that require the use of the camera (reading a document, scanning products or recognising a face) in the same app and its interface is totally accessible with or without a screen reader and is really intuitive. The fact that the app belongs to a research project that has not concluded makes it interesting because there are sure to be new possibilities added as the research progresses.View description
Seeing Al is a free app that describes the world that surrounds you. Designed for the community of people who are blind or have low vision, this research project in progress takes advantage of the power of Artificial Intelligence to open up the visual world and describe the people, texts and objects nearby. Optimised to be used with VoiceOver, the app enables you to recognise:
- Short text: it speaks text as soon as it appears before the camera.
- Documents: it provides an audio guide to make a screen shot of a printed page, and recognises the text, together with its original format.
- Products: it scans barcodes, using audio sounds to guide it; hear the name and the packet information when it is available. (works with iPhone 6 and subsequent versions)
- People: it enables people to save faces so that they can recognise them and obtain an idea of their age, gender and emotions.
- Scenes (expected preview): hear a general description of the scene in the screen shot.
- Money: it recognises banknotes. (Requires iOS 11)
- Colour: it identifies colour.
- Handwriting: it reads handwritten text as in greetings cards
- Light: it generates an audible tone that corresponds to the brightness of the setting.
- Images in other applications: just touch “Share” and “Trigger Face Recognition” to describe images of email, photos, Twitter etc. The app is designed to help you to achieve more by taking advantage of the power of the cloud and artificial intelligence. As the research progresses, it will possible to add more channels.